November 4, 2022 | Rubino Estates Winery
The Drunken Pumpkin: A Pie Recipe
Happy November to all friends of Rubino Estates! We are getting cozy, pouring a glass of wine, and putting on our aprons. This spiced and spiked family recipe for pumpkin pie will warm you from head to toe, whether you make it for Thanksgiving or just a random weekday when you're looking for some comfort food.
Drunken Pumpkin Pie
- 2 eggs
- 15oz pumpkin
- ½ cup brown sugar, loosely packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp clove
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 12 oz coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Dom Benedictine B & B Liqueur
- Pie shell
- Preheat the oven to 425℉
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add the pumpkin and continue to beat until combined. In a separate bowl, sift together the sugar, spices, salt, and cornstarch. Once mixed, pour this mixture into the large bowl, mixing until thoroughly incorporated. Finally, add the coconut milk and liqueur and whisk until fully combined.
- Pour the pie filling into a prepared crust (homemade is best) and place in the oven for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes have elapsed, reduce the oven temperature to 350℉ and bake for another 40 minutes, or until set. We recommend protecting the edges of the crust by covering the rim lightly with aluminum foil halfway through baking or when the edges begin to darken.
- Allow your pie to cool at room temperature, and serve. Refrigerate leftovers…if you have any!
Click here for a downloadable recipe card.
Our wine pairing suggestions for this wine include any rich wines with spice or jam notes, like our Club-exclusive Ferrario, our Riserva Petite Sirah, or our Primitivo. Cheers!