Pumpkin Rum Cake with Sparkling Moscato
As we enter the chilly embrace of mid-autumn, we are getting ready to create all of our favorite warming fall-time treats! This week, we are enjoying a cozy autumnal twist on a classic holiday dessert: rum cake. Sweet, spiced, and perfectly moist, this dessert is perfect for special occasions and gatherings with loved ones.
This recipe creates a classy and impressive cake, packed with flavor, and it’s easy as can be.Of course, it doesn't hurt that it's a little bit boozy after an infusion of butter and rum. Using cake mix as a base, pecans for texture, and both canned pumpkin and sour cream for rich density, this imaginative combination makes a delicious dessert that might become a new fall and holiday favorite!
- For the Pumpkin Pecan Cake:
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 package (18.25 oz) yellow cake mix
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup sour cream
- tap here
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the Spiced Rum Glaze:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup spiced rum
- Grease or spray with non-stick cooking spray a 12-cup Bundt pan; evenly sprinkle nuts over bottom; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, pumpkin, sour cream, eggs, pie spice and vanilla extract; beat with electric mixer on low until blended. Increase speed to high and beat 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 to 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean.
- While cake is baking, prepare the glaze.
- Combine in heavy saucepan, 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water and bring to boil over medium-high heat and cook, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add 1/2 cup spiced rum.
- Set aside to cool.
- Once cake is removed from the oven, allow the cake to cool in pan 10 minutes.
- Poke holes into cake (while still in pan) with long pick.
- Pour half of Spiced Rum Glaze over cake and let stand 5 minutes, then invert cake onto serving plate.
- Poke additional holes on top of cake with pick.
- Pour the remaining Spiced Rum Glaze over cake. Cool.
We recommend letting your cake cool at room temperature, then cutting generous slices to enjoy! This cake can be enjoyed à la mode with vanilla bean or pecan praline ice cream, but it’s so rich and moist you can skip the ice cream entirely! To lean into this luxurious treat, we recommend serving this Pumpkin Pecan Rum cake with our sparkling Moscato, a dessert wine that pairs sweetness with bright effervescence.
What confections will you bake up this fall? Tag us @rubinoestates on Instagram with your favorite wine and sweet treat combinations!