Father's Day: Steak with Cabernet Sauce
This Sunday is Father's Day! As always, we’re looking forward to spending a little bit of time with our dads and celebrating all the supportive father figures in our lives.
Below, we are sharing a simple and absolutely delicious recipe for a flat iron steak with a luscious Cabernet sauce. Our critically acclaimed Riserva Cabernet Sauvignon is more than the ideal pairing for steak, it’s also the perfect wine to elevate your dish. When you cook with wine you love, it opens doors to depth of flavor you can’t get anywhere else. With this recipe, you can give Dad a break from manning the grill and make a meal that you’ll want to savor together again and again.
We are using our 2018 Rubino Estates Cabernet Sauvignon. It doesn’t take much of an excuse to open a bottle of this Bordeaux-inspired classic! Awarded both Editor’s choice and 94 points from Wine Enthusiast, this vintage boasts a seductive aroma and flavor profile, enticing the senses with rich black fruits and subtle notes of spice. Dense flavors of blackberry, cocoa, black cherry, and toasted oak are wrapped up in a warm blanket of fine-grained tannins. A very smooth suede-like texture delights the palate with this full-bodied yet balanced wine. It's the perfect wine for a well-seasoned steak like this one. Pour yourself a glass while you cook!
Flat Iron Steak with Cabernet Sauce
- 1 (1 1/2-pound) flat iron steak
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon (we recommend 2018 Rubino Estates Riserva Cabernet)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning
- 1 shallot, diced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Take the steak out of the refrigerator 20 minutes before you are ready to cook it so that it can come to room temperature. This will help it cook more evenly.
- In a small pot over high heat, add the broth and wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until it is very hot. Season the steak with the grill seasoning and put it in the skillet. Cook about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Remove it from the pan, cover it with foil, and let it rest for 5 minutes while you finish the sauce.
- Reduce the heat under the skillet to medium and add the shallot. Cook until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the reduced broth and wine mixture and cook until thickened, about for about 5 minutes. Stir in the butter and cook until the butter is melted and incorporated into the sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Slice the steak against the grain into thin slices, arrange them on a serving platter and serve with the sauce on the side or poured over top.
recipe via Food Network
We hope you enjoy celebrating all the father figures who support and champion us!
Not close enough to see Dad this week? Send him a gift like a bottle of Rubino Estates Cab, or opt for our Salute Rose and Sparkling Wine which are perfect for summertime sipping and are both on sale now!