April's Wine of the Month: Riserva Cabernet Sauvignon
The Rubino Estates 2017 Riserva Cabernet Sauvignon was just awarded Double Gold in the San Francisco Wine Competition, just in time to become our Wine of the Month for April! This beautifully balanced wine is complex while still being approachable. As is our specialty here at Rubino Estates, we've put an Italian spin on this traditional Bordeaux classic, composing it of 82% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Barbera, 6% Petit Verdot, 3% Petite Sirah, and 2% Syrah. We love it on its own, but it's also absolutely stellar for pairing. This week, we're starting off with an appetizer of Portabella and Goat Cheese Tarts to compliment the light grip of the tannins and the food-friendly acidity of our Cabernet Sauvignon.
A classy step up from chips and dip, these tiny tarts are the perfect savory appetizer pairing for our Riserva Cabernet Sauvignon. This recipe is easy, delicious, and a great springboard for experimenting with your own flavor combinations! Feel free to switch up the cheese, play with herbs and spices, or garnish with other savory toppings. A hard cheese like aged gouda, a dash of fresh rosemary, or sweet caramelized shallots would all be heavenly additions to this recipe.
Portabella and Goat Cheese Tarts
- 1/2 sheet puff pastry
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 pound baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking tray.
- Lay puff pastry out on a lightly floured surface and cut into 8 squares. Prick the squares in several places with a fork and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the puff pastry squares for 7 minutes, then remove the tray from the oven and flatten the squares using the backside of a spatula. Return the puff pastry to the oven to bake until golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet over high heat. Sautée the mushrooms and garlic in the butter until mushrooms are tender, 5 to 7 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Top the baked puff pastry squares evenly with the mushroom mixture, then crumble goat cheese over mushrooms. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
These mouthwatering little tarts are just one of countless pairing options. If you have another favorite, we'd love to hear about it! We love new ideas, so let us know @rubinoestates. For your pairing pleasure, our Riserva Cabernet Sauvignon is available for only $27 for the month of April.